Welcome to Artdeco Creations Brand Blog! Home of Couture Creations, Ultimate Crafts, Craft Concepts & Quilt Essentials

Monday, 18 July 2016

Guest Designer | Robyn Wood

#couturecreationsaus #ultimatecrafts


Robyn Wood here and I am excited to be a guest designer this month for Couture Creations.
I got to play with the wonderful new Sea Breeze Collection Pack and have created a card to share with you today. I really like the sheet of vintage beach girls included in this pack – they look like they are having a wonderful time lazing by the sea. There are a few steps to making this layered, 14 cm square card so I have taken a bunch of photos to explain the process.



I trimmed out the image of the girl from the Beauty sheet and and Notice sign from Navigating at Sea sheet and distressed the edges of both pieces. Next, I cut a piece from the Pinstripe Mariner paper to measure 13.5 cm square and a piece of cream cardstock sized to fit the girl image. I left a wider, torn border on the left hand side of the cream cardstock. To give the cut layers some depth, I sponged them lightly with black and dark brown inks.


I wanted to give the Notice sign a bit more of an aged effect so I stroked a few vertical lines of gesso over the sign using a paint brush. Once dry, the pieces were ready for attaching to the Pinstripe Mariner paper. I thought the flag pieces from the Adhesive Chipboard sheet would look good strung over the edge of the layered images so I popped five pieces out and placed them gently onto my Non-stick Craft Mat. A light sponge of gesso to the tops and brown ink to the sides gave them a lovely aged effect. Then they were carefully placed over the corner of the card, leaving room for some twine to be strung across the top.


I loved the look of the Blue Netting and thought it would untie nicely to give me a length of thick twine for my card. I started at the bottom of the netting where the end of the piece was tied off and carefully untied the knots until I had a length of about 25 cm. It was really kinky, but a dip in water and drying off took most of them away.


I wanted the twine to have an aged effect in keeping with the rest of the card and a bit of black ink and a swish of gesso give it a bit of a weathered look. Once it was dry, I trimmed off about 5 cm to use around my anchor and added the rest to the card, affixing it along the top of the flags and adding a pair of black brads to hold it. I left about 3 cm hanging from each brad and unravelled the ends a bit. Once the brads were in the layered square could be attached to the card front. I fussy cut a pair of shells from the Navigating at Sea paper and added them to the top, left hand corner.


Altering the sweet anchor charm was the last step – a coat of gesso started the process and a bit of sanding and inking gave it the look I was after. The scrap of twine was unravelled to give two threads and I wound these around the top of the anchor and glued it in place

Couture Creations products used 

 I hope you have enjoyed watching this card come together. 
The Sea Breeze collection was great to create with - I am sure you will love playing with it.






6 comments:

Tracey Cooley said...

Gorgeous Robyn

Kerrie Gurney said...

fabulous card Robyn and love how you used the netting to get more out of it

Pretty Girly Stuff said...

Lovely Card Robyn. I love the use of gesso and inks too ☺

Adriana B said...

Lovely card and great techniques :)

Pretty Girly Stuff said...

Lovely Card Robyn. I love the use of gesso and inks too ☺

Maree Kerwin said...

Your card is just so beautiful. I really love how you put it together and used the gesso to give things more of an aged look. I love how you did the anchor. I just love it!!!!!🙂

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...